Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Good And Not So Good Eats!

So, it's been a little over a week and a half that I have been trying to eat clean.  Basically meaning cutting out processed food.... no package foods, no white flours, less sugar - instead, eating lean protein, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies.  The first six days I did great!  Then it came to Saturday night and Sunday.  Since I do my grocery shopping on Sunday, I had gotten low on the fruits I like to snack on, not to mention we went to a friend's house for football.
Being unprepared is probably the biggest mistake.  Makes it more tempting to reach for the unhealthy foods.
And... I did cave and get fro yo last night with a little bit of choc. toppings :) It was worth it!

Another thing I've noticed with making most things from scratch - makes a huge mess.  I probably spent 30 minutes cleaning up from tonight's dinner and attempted dessert! Mess everywhere!

Good Eats:
Lunch: tuna mixed with hummus and greek yogurt on a wasa cracker, sweet potato with cottage cheese, tiny bit of butter, and garlic/, roasted veggie wrap, and black beans with cilantro and greek yogurt in lettuce wraps.

Dinner: whole chicken in crockpot, stir fry with lots of veggies, quinoa patties (quinoa mixed with cottage cheese, spinach and garlic), stuffed portabello mushrooms (leftover quinoa with veggies and cottage cheese)
 stir fry with left over chicken

stuffed portabello mushroom

Tonight I tried a recipe out of Deceptively Delicious.  It was for homemade chicken nuggets.
Basically you mix one egg and a cup of pureed broccoli in one bowl and in the other mix whole wheat bread crumbs (I used panko), a cup of ground flaxseed and a couple of spices.  Dip chicken in egg mixture then in bread crumbs and cook in pan.  This made a huge mess! It was really good though.  Everyone ate it except picky Max!  He had a few bites but was more into the quinoa/spinach mix.  -forgot to take a picture.  

THEN I decided to try one of the desserts. FAIL!  I made the chocolate chip cookies. The secret ingredient was garbanzo beans.  The last cookie I made with garbanzo beans was really good!
Justin was excited I was baking again.... he immediately asked what I put in them and I conveniently left out garbanzo beans and just said applesauce.  He took one bite and said, "it taste like a dirt patty lacking sugar!"  So, for the second batch I added a little honey- nope!  Third batch I added some peanut butter - better for me, but still nothing spectacular.  
 they look normal!
  I'm thinking they will be perfect for Max and Claire.  I rarely let them have sweets like this, so when I do, it's a treat! ...hopefully they will think so!

I'm down two pounds since eating cleaner.  I think it also helps that I am not taking bites of M and C's food/snacks.  I was probably adding on an extra 200 calories with a bite here and a bite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment