Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little bit of food heaven!

Yesterday I made some delicious food!  It was another very cold day in NC so we needed something to warm us up!  I remembered a recipe I made a few months ago in the crock pot and it was the perfect choice, chicken with creamy red potatoes.
Ingredients:
Chicken - I used two breasts
1.5 lbs of red pototates
1 can cream of potato soup
1 envelope of ranch seasoning
1 8oz block of 1/3 fat cream cheese

Cut potatoes in 1 inch cubes and put in bottom of crock pot.  In a separate bowl, mix soup, seasoning, and cream cheese then spread on top of potatoes.  Cut chicken in strips and put on top of spread  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

And the best part is:  
Easy clean up!!
These crock pot liners are awesome!

Then there was dessert!  Actually, double dessert!  Cupcakes and white chocolate hot chocolate!
When I was in the hospital a friend had brought me some white chocolate hot chocolate.  It was one of the best things that has ever gone in my mouth!  I went to buy one the other day and it was $3.34 for a small and was/is loaded with fat.... this lead me to experiment and make it "healthier".  
I started by using google to find recipes.  They all seemed pretty similar:  heavy cream, white chocolate chips, half and half and vanilla.  ALL loaded with FAT!
I splurged and bought 1% milk and used fat free 1/2 and 1/2.
I began by melting white chocolate chips (1/3 cup?) and the milk.  Once the chocolate was melted I added a couple of tbs of 1/2 and 1/2 and a 1/2 tsp of vanilla, stirred until it came to a boil and enjoyed!!
Man oh man was this delicious and you didn't even miss the fat.  Next time I'll try it with skim milk :)
And of course the cupcakes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment