Friday, May 27, 2016

Kentucky Derby

Just a few short weeks ago, Justin and I packed up and went to the Kentucky Derby!  We left on a Thursday and had a fun filled weekend, returning Sunday morning.  One of his vendors invited us. Every thing was thoughtfully planned out.  As soon as we arrived we went to a delicious lunch on the river then met up with the rest of the group for a Bourbon tour!



Thursday night we went out for a fun dinner then back to house to rest up for Friday's festivities - The Kentucky Oaks.  That's the big race on Friday. It's for the fillies (female horses). I had only brought one hat, so thankfully one of our friends let me wear one of hers from previous years! We had amazing seats. We were right at the finish line and at the winner's circle.

There was record breaking attendance this day. 



Our group
Next up: The 142nd Kentucky Derby!
The Oaks day was a blast. Lots of drinking and people watching.  I did, however, learn not to wear heels the whole time. My feet were blistered and hurt so bad.  So I started the day in my flats and actually ended up wearing them the whole time and whoever was in charge of the shoe bag.... left it somewhere and my heels are gone :( thank goodness they were just from TJ Maxx and I didn't spend a lot on them!

Bourbon and Biscuits before heading the the tracks



With my stud of a husband :)
Definitely one of the silliest hats we saw!

Delicious mint juleps!

The Derby
We had sent my parents pics of the program and told them and the kids to pick a horse for us to bet on.  We bet on 7 horses and did not win one! Justin had picked the Exgerrator to win the Derby - he did not, but won the Preakness. Right horse, wrong race!  It truly was a bucket list experience.  Justin has mentioned wanting to go back again!

Oh, and must add the pics of the hats Max and Claire made with my mom.  She bought hats and decorations at the dollar store and they each made hats to wear while watching on TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment